As it is situated at the centre of the old industrial zone of Hermoupolis, it is surrounded by monumental listed buildings, mostly former textile factories and other industrial spaces.
From 1888, it housed the Lysandros Yamalakis lead shot factory, while from 1894 it was replaced by the L. Yamalakis & Vratsanos Bros steam-powered nail, needle and pellet factory. Around 1905, ownership passed on to Andreas D. Katsimantis and the building itself was used for pulverising and storage of materials to be made into dyes. The dye works suspended their operation in the 1930s. After 1970, ownership passed on to the Neorion Shipyards.
In 1984, the Dyeworks factory was declared a listed building by the Greek Ministry of Culture. The Ministry Administration of Monument Reconstruction produced detailed charts and maps that contributed to its restoration, as the building had been in ruins for many years, and its characteristic tower had collapsed. While the restoration process preserved the external form of the building, it brought about necessary changes in the interiors, in order to accommodate the CTC-IMH central services and office space, as well as the creation of exhibition halls. Restoration works were funded by the Ministry of the Aegean and the Industrial Museum of Hermoupolis officially re-opened the Katsimantis Dyeworks building doors on May 2nd, 2000 with an inaugural exhibition entitled “A Museum Is Born”.]]>
The building is situated to the east of the Katsimantis Dyeworks building. This small lead shot factory was built around 1889. It comprises a cooling tower and several ground level constructions surrounding it. All of its original machinery and equipment was salvaged by the CTC-IMH. The building was originally purchased by the Municipality of Hermoupolis in order to become part of the Industrial Museum complex.
In 1989, this factory was declared a listed building by the Greek Ministry of Culture. All interventions were limited to structural work needed to support the lead shot cooling tower, restoration of the damaged roof, machinery restoration and maintenance, as well as cleaning and sanitation of the interiors. The CTC-IMH aim was to turn the focus to the building itself as a self-contained museum, demonstrating to its visitors the way lead shot was traditionally produced.]]>
The building was originally built around 1880 and housed a pre-existing tannery founded in 1853-1854 by Menelaos Kornilakis. At the turn of the century, the company introduced the use of steam, as well as the first leather treatment machines. At the time, the tannery employed more than a hundred people and was a top-ranking company in the city. After WW1, the Tannery was sold to Marinakis, Koutsodontis & Co, and in the 1930s to Dendrinos & Koutsis Co. In 1970, the tannery suspended its operations and was gradually deserted. In 1998, the Municipality of Hermoupolis bought the building from the National Mortgage Bank of Greece. In 2000, the Greek Ministry of Culture declared the tannery a listed building.
The Kornilakis Tannery building is a monumental structure, with four buildings extending on both sides of a stone-cobbled alley. These are mainly two-storey buildings, with a number of additional units and outbuildings connected via a central pathway. There were also outdoor spaces necessary to the production process. All structures were made using plastered stone. Parts of the machinery and equipment, such as a semi-diesel oil machine, a cylinder, the presses, barrels and counters can currently be seen on-site.]]>
The factory, founded in 1900-1905, is still in place in its entirety. Until the early 1960s, it housed print-dye works and a cotton mill. Subsequently, it was owned by the Neorion Shipyards which passed it on to Enfield, one of their affiliate companies. Enfield Automotive attempted to produce a short-lived electric automobile named “Enfield-Neorion” using this factory.
Nowadays, its largest part houses the Neorion staff supermarket, while a smaller part belonging to the Municipality of Hermoupolis was ceded to the CTC-IMH to house the restoration and maintenance workshop.